Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Very Interesting Garden Spider!

For the past several weeks I have been watching a spider that has spun a web on the outside of one of my windows.  I might not have noticed this spider if it had been on any other window, but this is a window I love to look out of.  And, once I noticed it, I made sure I watched it as much as I could.  Most of the time, it didn't even seem to move.  So, I started taking photos of it.  Then it began moving -- and one day it wasn't at this window any more, but I did spy it, with a new web, down next to the garage.  This spider is called a black and yellow argiope - a garden spider that is also called the writing spider.  What makes this so interesting to me is the web that it spins.  The web has the most amazing zigzag pattern!



I discovered that although these spiders look scary, they are harmless to humans - they like to eat insects!



No comments:

Post a Comment